Monday 22 July 2019

Rise and Sparkle ATC - by Claudia

Hi, servus and thanks so much for stopping by!

Today I would like to share a quick ATC that was inspired by one of my favourite summer places in and around Vienna to go to - a small swimming spot in the southern Danube Wetlands. There are always loads of beautiful demoiselles (a European damselfly) and I love to watch them "dance" across the water and sparkle in the sun.







Calico Craft Parts used:

- Plain ATC Wood Blank
- Sheet of Mini Insects MDF Wood Shapes - Style 1
- Wild Grass MDF Wood Shape - Style 5
- Daffodil Flower MDF Wood Shape


The ATC was quickly and loosely painted wet on wet with "treasure" DecoArt Chalky Finish paint, "Navy Blue" and "Light Buttermilk" Americana paints. The other wood shapes were - as always - dry brushed with Light Buttermilk to create a base layer and prime the MDF.



Using a detail brush and DecoArt Metallic Lustre "Cosmic Blue" and "Elegant Emerald" and "Teal" Dazzling Metallics alongside media fluid acrylic paints Dioxazine Purple, Carbon Black and Titanium White I painted the damselflies.
The left overs from the Titanium White were diluted and sprinkled onto the ATC background.




I "murdered" a lovely Daffodil Flower wood shape from my stash to create the grass for my largest dragonfly to sit on...


...because I wanted to put an additional grass layer behind the beautiful wild grass shape to create more depth. In the picture below I have put it on top, but it actually was to go behind it.



The grass was also painted quite loosely using DecoArt media fluid acrylics Sap Green, Green Gold and Americana "Golden Straw" acrylic paints wet on wet.




Back to my demoiselles....



These still needed some detail on the wings, so I painted that using a size zero detail brush and slightly diluted Titanium White and Carbon Black media fluid acrylic paint.



Once the paints had dried, it was time to glue all the pieces in place (using matte DecoArt Decou-Page). To layer smaller wood shapes I like to use little MDF pieces that I cut off the left overs from used up Mini Craft Sheets.

The printed out quote was cut to size, inked around the edges and blended with Distress ink before I glued it in place to finish off my ATC.




Voilá!




The metallic sheen and sparkle on the wings (from the Metallic Lustres and Dazzling Metallic paints) was - as always - hard to capture in a picture....I think this one was the closest I could get ;)



Looking at the ATC from the other side the painted in white highlights become more prominent. Adding these on top of the Metallic paints was no problem at all (I was a bit worried because I wasn't sure if other paints would adhere well on top of the Metallic Lustres...but no problems at all !)



I hope I managed to capture at least a bit of the sparkling of the wings (and of the sunlight on the waves), of the volume of traffic in the air and of the extreme summer heat amidst the reed. It's such a magical place at that time of the year (especially when you manage to get there at a time when it isn't too crowded...well, I am not the only one who thinks this place is magical...sigh).

Have a magical summer! 
Claudia
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment