Monday 4 May 2015

File folder journal by Astrid

Welcome everyone and so glad you found our new blog. We will post regularly here and hope you will come back often!

Today I am sharing the final page and cover of a mini journal made from file folders. Earlier pages can be found on my own blog. I have decorated this journal throughout using Craft Parts. They are just perfect for this kind of project, as they are not too bulky.
Here is the cover of my journal:
I was very excited when I found that under the new products you can now find whole words, but not just that, you can design your own words in 5 different fonts, using up to 12 letters. You can check out all the details HERE.  As you can see, I chose the word Travel as I want to use this as a little travel journal.

Below will follow a step by step of how I created this cover and also an interactive page. I will also give you a quick over view of the additional pages in this journal, but won't go into details as I have shown those pages on my own blog already.

I started with some linen look paper and inked around all the edges with Walnut Stain distress ink:
Next I prepared a backing for my main stamped image:
This is a piece of corrugated packaging that I attacked with paints, Gesso and embossing powder to kind of make it look grungy and bark like.
My focal image is an old Tim Holtz stamp from the Photo Studio set.
And here are the Craft Parts I used to embellish the cover. Apart from the word I used cogs from two different sets and one of the wonderful Corner Woodshapes, there is a huge selection.

I gave them all some "rusty treatment first:
To do that I covered them in sand paste first, I used Decoart. When dry I used Burnt Umber and some Quin Gold Decoart media Fluid acrylics and when they had dried I added some Onyxite Treasure Gold to give them a bit more of a metallic look. I then put it all together like this:
All right, now to one of the double pages. This is the most interactive page in the journal.
For the page on the left I used another Corner Flourish to decorate, as well as one of the little butterflies on the girl's dress.
The girl herself is from another Tim Holtz stamp set, Winged Things. I stamped her first in Black Archival, then again in Red Geranium Archival and then paper pieced the fussy cut red dress on top of the black one which was also fussy-cut. I then decorated her dress with the little butterfly from one of the Butterfly Woodshape sets.
Here you can see how the pocket on the right side is actually a folded out booklet that even contains another pocket. I decorated with further cogs and also made a couple of tags to fit in the pockets:
All stamps used for the various pages are Tim Holtz.
Here is what the remaining pages of the fold out booklet look like.
Finally below is a collage of all the different pages in the book and like I said, Craft Parts are just perfect for embellishing a project like this....

Well, hope you liked this little journal and that it has given you some inspiration.
Thanks for visiting today and we all hope you will visit soon again.

27 comments:

  1. This is the most beautiful file folder journal I've ever seen, Astrid! What an amazing rusty treatment! Fabulous combination of digital downloads and stamping! Brilliant choice of embellishments! Your interactive page is amazing! Actually, I love everything about this outstanding creation! Thank you so much for the great inspiration! Bravo!
    Hugs :)
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning folder Astrid and all the flourished added are gorgeous. How exciting that you can made up your own words too...I must check this all out.Happy bank holiday and enjoy the day off x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great start for the return of the blog! This has been the most fabulous project! Every single page a real treat! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is a real jaw dropper Astrid! Totally stunning in detail and vintage style. Love it!
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing project - loving the rusty effect on the parts - looks fab X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely fabulous Astrid! Love the rusted elements and that corrugated bark background is out of this world amazing!! What a wonderful project! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous make Astrid!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cover is fantastic, LOVE your amazing background from corrugated paper, and what you did to it , and your rusted woodshapes are gorgeous Astrid. Beautiful and exiting pages through your journal book!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again an amazing detailed vintage creation Astrid...Gorgeous!
    Greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always stand in awe of your work, Astrid, and this is no exception. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful work,thank you for sharing, you are truely an inspiration. Sue Balawajder

    ReplyDelete
  12. great work Astrid - brilliant use of layers and details - lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bark-like backing is fabulous Astrid and I love the rusted elements you added, a fantastic piece of work! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so amazing and gorgeous. I have made note of how you achieved the rusted look to the cogs and will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WAUW I absolutely LOVE the entire album here Astrid. Everything is so beautiful and perfect as all you do hun. I really really like, all these small embellisments, and was also looking for some, when we were in the US here last month, but unfortunately it doesn´t seem, there´s many of these in the stores overthere yet, so guess I was just a bit too early out LOL. But it really looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Morning Astrid. How on earth did I miss this till now. Fabulous journal. I am fascinated by all the details and need to pay Calico Crafts a visit. Hugs Rita xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another beautiful creation!! Loved every page!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your talent and Calico parts a perfect combination! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Astrid, You absolutely succeeded in making that piece look all grungy and bark like! Love your tags and book- wonderful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jaw droppingly gorgeous!!!!! LOVE the corrugated card frontpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful, Astrid!! Just Beautiful!! All of your details are AMAZING!!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glorious - all those fabulous rusty and rustic textures - brilliant vintage distressing - a real triumph, Astrid!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete