Monday 29 August 2022

Nostalgia Avenue: by Sara Annau

 


I was delighted to be asked by the design team coordinator, Louise, to be a guest designer for Calico Craft Parts and couldn’t wait to get started. 

The first project I want to share with you is this little street scene I’ve created using four small house shapes and some mini doors and windows (some of which I’ve cut down or added to to suit my needs).

The middle house is made out of two individual houses stuck together and I deliberately chose one with a regular roof and one with a wonky roof to add an interesting feature from the back view (as seen in the next image).


Although the little houses all have no features, Calico Craft Parts sell all kinds of accessories and textures to add some authenticity. From cobble stones to bricks and lots of architectural pieces including windows and doors so you can customise your houses to your own taste.
I’ve gone for a very vintage nostalgic look.
As I had a very specific budget for my design team order, I didn’t get everything I could have used so I’ve used some texture from embossing folders to create some of my brick etc.


I’ve also added a dormer window to the middle house and I’ve included some resin cast drainpipes in a couple of places to add a wee touch of authenticity to the look. 

 Adding all the little details to make four very plain house shapes become this nostalgic little street took some time but it was time spent enjoying myself and letting my imagination run free. 

I’m now looking forward to starting my second design team project which involves a lot of  “fussy cutting” so I’d better get on with it. 


Supply list


Block style house kits: 

short with wonky roof, 

 short ,

 tall, 

tall with wonky roof


Sheet of Mini MDF doors

Sheet of mini MDF windows


Additional supplies that may be of interest for a similar project:

Sheet of pipes and drains etc

Selection of fences

Bricks and Cobbles etc

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Sara. This is really lovely and lots of attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, love compilation of the individual houses and your color design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a charming make, Sara! I am almost waiting for someone to open the door and step out! x

    ReplyDelete