Saturday 2 May 2020

Maritime scenes - 3D Shadow canvas by Kerstin

Welcome, creative friends!

 I love projects with a 3D depth and wanted to make a shadow frame from a canvas.
As you could already see in my last project, 
I love the combination of the sea theme with a touch of steampunk, so
today I am sharing a new inspiration with some casts, MDF shapes and a wonderful delicate background paper.

I created my canvas in a vintage grunge style in rusty appearance.


 In the Aquatic & Marine Wood Shapes department of Calico Craft Parts' store you can find a lot of awesome corals and other extraordinary maritime parts - 
 a veritable treasure trove that I can highly recommend!


Tips & Tricks


1 I used a discarded wedge frame that our kids hadn't wanted to paint.
With a carpet knife I cut out the middle part

2 I wanted to have a very old frayed looking edge and used a burning candle

3 I glued on some casts matching the MDF jellyfish, also cats that were made with the help of moulds

4 Then everything was primed with a Chalky Finish paint (DecoArt 'Yesteryear')




5 I left everything to dry thoroughly

6 Next I added some paper coloured laser cuts

Nautical Multi Frame


7 Firstly I added some Crackle Glaze. Onto the still wet medium I sprinkled some mini Artstones here and there 

8 After that had dried, I highlighted the frame with brown and black metallic waxes and glued a curved paper band onto the frame

9 Finally I added some natural elements like sea shells, lichen, gauze and some Artstones



some close up's













Calico Craft Parts used: 

Nautical Multi Frame - Seahorses & Seafoam

 Bull Kelp - MDF Seaweed Wood Shape Style 4

 Jellyfish MDF Wood Shape Style 3 in two sizes


 Thanks for your visit!

Stay safe everyone and take care of yourselves and your loved ones…

Kerstin

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing your magical creations come to life, Kerstin!

    I absolutely admire your ability to layer textures, shapes and media - there is a special natural feel to all your creations that evokes ideas of nature adventures and explorations in my head and my heart. You are the Queen of Story-Telling AND the Queen of Shabby-Chic!

    This awesome project is once more proof of that!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much dear Claudia, that makes my day 😍😍!! Hugs, K. xxx

      Delete