Wednesday 20 September 2017

Ahoy There Me Hearties : by Jennie

Hello! and welcome fellow pirates (and crafters!) ..... 


I have always been fascinated by ships in bottles and we have quite a few here at the house collected over the years. When I saw this little wine bottle I thought I would try to create a ship "on a bottle" instead as that is probably the nearest I am ever going to get to making one!


If like me you like altering bottles, it is worth looking at some of the "mini" bottles of wine in the supermarket. This was a small bottle of Mateus Rose - I can't say that the wine was very great but I did like the shape of the bottle!

The fact that it has a nice flat rounded shape meant I could add embellishments without them standing too proud.



After being coated with the brown acrylic paint I then used a palette knife to add DecoArt Crackle Paste over the body of the bottle. I wanted a thicker finish than usual and using the palette knife achieves this.


I stamped some nautical images on tissue paper and added these over the crackle to add a few highlights - the crackle was nice but a bit bland!


And then the glorious pirate galleon! I did my usual dabbing of white paint over the sails - I always love how the burnt brown seeps through. The hull and masts got daubed with brown acrylic paint and I added a little gold here and there to highlight parts of the boat.

I absolutely love the wonderful new word elements and although it doesn't look as though I have done anything to it it has been coloured with a little brown ink and a light dash of gold paint over the top.


I finished off with some shells collected from beaches here and on the west coast of Scotland and some jute twine around the neck.

I really enjoyed creating this little bottle - it was a lovely size to work with and didn't feel too daunting in terms of decoration. Now I am off to the supermarket to see what others I can find! see you in the wine aisle!

As always thank you for joining me today.

Jennie x

Calico Craft parts used:

3 comments:

  1. I love your ship 'on' a bottle, Jennie! What a great idea! The crackle, the little details and the word element label are all just perfect! I'm off to the store cupboard to check out our bottles now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant altered bottle, Jennie - and the ship looks just wonderful. Love the crackle and the mesh texture - fishing nets ahoy! Beautiful work, as always.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh! Your bottle is beautiful Jennie, not at all pirate like! heehee
    I really love how you worked the ships-lovely aged effect!
    Jackie xo

    ReplyDelete