Wednesday 23 August 2017

Under the Sea by Jennie


Hello Everyone and welcome to my second project this month (how the months pass by so quickly!)

Having spent the last seven weeks "on" the sea I thought I would make a project of some of the things we have seen "under" the sea whilst at anchor and out in the dinghy. The waters of Shetland and the West coast of Scotland are amazingly clear and I am always blown away by the colours in the shallows of the seaweed and rocks. So this little piece is inspired by those memories.


I started off with a 125 x 125 Birch Plywood Board. I love these boards as you can really use a lot of products on them. I gave the board a coat of gesso first and added some texture paste before finally adding a layer of lace, mesh and a die cut leaf. Although I have used a die cut from my stash there are some fabulous Seaweed and Kelp shapes in the CCP shop HERE.


For the next layer I stuck down some shells collected over the years along with the gorgeous Scalloped Seashell and one of my favourite anchors. I had given the shell and anchor a light covering of white paint in preparation for the next stage.


Then I started spraying with spray inks - very lightly and using a lot of water in between the layers.


I love how the lace takes up the colours.


I added more inks around the outside edges and added some stamping here and there. I have always wanted to see a sea horse in the little rock pools but not so far!  I thought this quote was quite appropriate as there is a world of magic under the sea.


Tiny glass beads were the last element to be added. We always anchor wherever possible in sand (although sometimes it is very thick black mud!) and the sandy bottom of the sea creates some wonderful reflections when the sun is shining.



Thank you for joining me today for my little sea adventure.

Happy Crafting.

Jennie x


Calico Craft Parts Used Today:

4 comments:

  1. This is such an evocative and beautiful piece, Jennie. You can gaze into its depths - just like looking into one of those rock pools! Your voyage must have been wonderful and so inspiring! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, Jennie... I can just picture the sunlight dappling through the ripples of the water and revealing this magical world beneath. Such gentle, delicate colours over all that gorgeous texture - lovely!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennie, this a absolute delight! I just love the soft colour tones and those wonderful seashell and anchor laser cuts. Beautifully shabby chic! I too, would love to see a seahorse in real life! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! What a delight Jennie! I just love these wonderful elements and in your gorgeous shabby light style! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete