Sunday 10 May 2015

Flower Trio by Alison

Hello everyone!  Alison here from Words and Pictures, and it's so lovely to be here on the brand new Calico Craft Parts Blog.

I've got a trio of flower cards to share with you today.  I know... I'm not usually much of a card-maker, but when I saw the new Calico Craft Parts Garden Flower Shapes and Wildflower Shapes, I just wanted to put them centre-stage, and these cards are the result.

 
The laser cut flowers are so beautiful, with such delicate detailing, and come in various designs and sizes.  (This is the Knapweed.)


They come in a rich shade of burnished brown, and of course you can paint, stamp, texturise and crackle them to your heart's delight, but this time I didn't do any of that!  (This is the Poppy.)


Instead, they are layered onto whitewashed book page fragments... (This is the Fuchsia.)


... over a layer of tree bark, providing lots of lovely natural texture...


... over distressed watercolour paper panels, and finally over kraft card which I've stamped with the Tiny Words and inked with Gathered Twigs.


For each card, I selected a ChitChat sticker, making my main word echo the stamping and the book page text.


I added some more book page fragments, positioned on each card at a height to "frame" the ChitChat sticker and draw the eye to it.


Inside each card I added another column of Tiny Words for extra interest.


And of course there's lots of splatter everywhere... that's the only paint applied to the flowers - quite randomly of course.


The design is very simple, they take very little time to make, but with the Calico Craft Parts Wildflowers as the centrepieces, I think they make for rather lovely cards for a special occasion.  I hope you like them, and I'll see you again soon.

Alison xx

34 comments:

  1. Must buy knapweed flower, how amazing are these new MDF parts Alison!

    Three amazing cards, love each one and of course the splatters are just fab:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alison,
    These look wonderful.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like them?! Love LOVE them! Oh Alison they are fabulous! So rustic and gorgeous too. The bark really helps the Craft Parts flowers stand out. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt these flowers look awesome as is, Alison.! I love the way you have used them with found nature objects. Very simple and classy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cards are gorgeous, Alison!! Love the simple, layered look, which really show off the laser cut flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just gorgeous, elegant in their simplicity x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple & so scrumptious- the knapweed is my favourite of the shapes, the bark....real or effect ?, looks amazing as a layer & those white splashes.... I've fallen in love again LOL. Thanks for brightening my morning (and today the sun IS out!)

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alison, these are gorgeous as always. I am curious about the tree bark. Did you recreate the tree bark texture from scratch or did you cut pieces of actual tree-bark perfectly into rectangles and glue it down, either way - awesome stuff. I've been scarce for so long I bet you cant even believe that this is me commenting. -candice-

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are beautiful cards Alison, the tree bark really sets off those beautiful natural looking wild flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The flowers are beautiful, and so are your cards Alison. They could not be more gorgeous, than these in their nature look, so wonderful with the bark, and whitewashed paper page.
    Love them all.
    Dorthe,xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful cards, Alison. love Calico flowers, but the you have created beautiful layers behind them!! Clever work !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really effective Alison with the tree bark ! Love the wooden flowers too ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are all stunning and show off those flowers beautifully - gorgeous makes. Big hugs Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I know it's all been said but these are wonderful! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cards that should be framed and hung as art. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The shapes, layered upon the substrates are exquisite! Must say that the splatters return them to my comfort zone! Love them! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. So organically delicious Alison!!
    I would have had no idea where to begin with those flowers and you made the perfect stage for them!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful creative design on these cards Alison! love the bark, the torn text paper and the wonderful texture of the wooden flowers! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, these are amazing Alison! That IS real bar, wowsers, so brilliant! Love the wooden flowers and the newsprint panels are such a great buffer between all those wonderful natural elements! Fantastic! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful cards. I think the knapweed is my favourite, but I do love all three. The bark makes them so special and the layers are wonderful with the distressed watercolour paper - fantastic textures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are all so beautiful and natural Alison! I'm wondering if Calico do single words as it would be so much nicer to get them from the UK. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we do :)
      its under the heading of "Create your own word"
      you let us know what word you want then you pick a font and a size.
      http://www.calicocraftparts.co.uk/create-your-own-wood-word.html

      Delete
    2. Fantastic! I'll get a list together! x

      Delete
  22. They are sooo beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! These are stunning Alison and love the rich brown contrast of the beautiful flowers against your gorgeous shabby chic backgrounds.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not simple but definitely simply beautiful Alison! What wonderful texture from the bark (love!) and the laser cut flowers are so pretty, your restrained treatment of them shows them off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So beautiful they are Alison! If I'll get the card how happy I am. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful, Alison, could have such fun with these flowers!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just a stunning trio of beautiful, earthy cards, Alison!! Love those laser cut flowers and you've showcased their intricacy wonderfully! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, amazing cards Alison, so beautiful!!! These delicate laser-cut flowers certainly well deserve to be put centre-stage, especially when layered like this with everything stamped or distressed perfectly. I love your tiny words panel and its repetition inside, as well as your tree bark idea, fabulous!!! Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. These Calico Craft parts are really worthy of being center stage on a card. I think even I could make a rather decent card with them (and I really am terrible at making cards). I seriously have to have some of that tree bark!!!!!!!! Wow! What an amazing background it makes for these flowers. Really stunning. Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete