Monday 7 March 2016

Spring is in the air, wall plaque by Astrid

Hello Calico fans thanks for dropping in. I have a little wall hanger to share with you today:


Let me start today with listing the craft parts I used for this and then I will share a short step by step:

Butterfly Bramble style 3
Bird on Flowering Vine style 7
Baroque Flourish style 19 (part of only)
Ancestry Font word

I started by covering the grey board with some scrapbook paper in light spring like colours, I distressed the edges a bit and added some subtle background stamping.

Next I painted the ATC in similar, but slightly darker colours using chalk ink and then added some stencilling using Distress inks and a stencil. I also added a tiny scrap of a paper serviette to both the plaque and the ATC for a little more interest.

This was followed by covering parts of both with Decoart Media Crackle Glaze and then adding some Antiquing Creams to bring out the cracks. I forgot to take a picture of that stage, but below you can see a close up how it all came together:

For this project I wanted the cracks to be quite subtle, so as not to detract too much from the beautiful craft parts.

I left the Craft Parts themselves fairly plain too, the only treatment they got was with Decoart Dazzling Metallics in Luminous Gold, just to add a bit of shimmer to the main parts, in this case the bird and flowers.

One of the things that I love about the craft parts is that they come in so many different sizes.. When using larger sizes I love to alter them with paints and crackle mediums etc, but when using smaller sizes, like on this occasion, I think they are better left almost untreated to bring out their delicacy.


Because they are so delicate, they can occasionally break, but I have never found that a problem, as it is easy to use them in parts (like I did here with the corner part) or carefully glue them together again. In fact sometimes I break them on purpose if it suits a particular project I have in mind.


Well that's it for today, - thanks for your visit and fingers crossed that Spring will soon be in full swing here in the Northern Hemisphere. I for one could really do with some warmth and sunshine!
xxx

14 comments:

  1. A stunning wall hanging Astrid x love the background and fabulous CCP's you have used.
    The most wonderful step by step too
    Hugs Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Fabulous creation Astrid. Love what you've done with the craft parts. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that subtle porcelain crackle, beautifully highlighted in blues and greens, and the soft springtime tones are altogether lovely. The Springtime flourishes are gorgeous with just that subtle dusting of shimmer... hope you get some spring sunshine soon.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe that Spring is coming now I've seen this (woke up to a clear blue sky today too!) I love the colours you have used and the addition of the crackle is fabulous! You have used the most wonderful way to highlight the craft parts too! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It´s such a gorgeous piece here Astrid, and I just admire the result as always. It is so beautiful and well made in any thinkable way and just looks fabulous in these amazing colors here. I can only agree with you, I´m the exact same and just long for spring now too. To see some more sun and have some warmth would be a dream come true, that´s for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This hanging is simply beautiful Astrid, I love the addition of the serviettes as a subtle colour against the wooden pieces and the crackle on the background lovely. You have chosen some gorgeous craft parts to go on this hanging, especially the butterfly bramble, love this. Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful, Astrid, love the tiny crackle and lovely background .The Craft parts are so beautiful, too ,together with the lovely flowers on your amazing background !!!
    xx, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely Astrid! I love that you've shown us how you have built this up into such a beauty xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I love the background most of all. I knew Alison would be ogling this beauty! Thanks Astrid...
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is Gorgeous, that crackle is amazing. Love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply beautiful dear Astrid!
    The pale yellow crackle below brings nostalgia to mind. A lovely plaque to bring in the spring! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete