Thursday 11 March 2021

Time for Tea by Kat Hazelton.

 

The joy of mixed media projects is you can turn odds and ends into beautiful ornaments, art and gifts. That odd bead, broken necklace, wine cork or spoon can with a touch of paint, a dabble of texture paste or sprinkle of glitter be transformed into a thing of beauty! When I was asked to step in as guest designer for Calico Craft Parts I must confess with it being so close to Easter I was tempted to do a project with bunnies and eggs! But then I began thinking back to the hazy days of being off school for Easter Holidays. One of the things I loved doing, apart from eating chocolate of course, was to bury my head into books such as Enid Blyton adventure series or Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland! Even as an adult it is a book I return to and still enjoy. So with this idea in mind I dug about my box of crafting bits and bobs found a little plastic 'Alice', a cat shaped bead, some pretty plastic flowers! Then I saw a fab MDF teapot shape on Calico Craft Parts website and an idea formed!


To make your own teapot you will need from Calico Craft parts


Other items.

Paints, glue, die cut paper shapes, glitter, crayons, and bits and bobs! Plus ribbon or string to hang your tea pot once finished.


To make a start I always paint all my MDF parts and paper die cuts white I find this gives a nice base to add colour paints, inks and pastes. The texture is created using stencils and texture paste.


Even though I wanted a steampunk feel  I decided to add a bright blue and gold instead of traditional steampunk colours.
I felt this was more 'Wonderland!' 



I based the clockface hands on the clock face of Elizabeth Tower, the famous tower better know by most people as Big Ben. The hour hand has a heart shape which I thought was perfect choice for my Alice in Wonderland clock.
To make them I drew the design onto card then carefully cut them out with a scalpel knife. I painted them both with black acrylic paint and edged them with gold.


I painted the little white rabbit with acrylic paint giving him a little coat. I then painted the mdf pocket watch with gold paint and added gloss to the face. I then added a gold painted cog to the back of the pocket watch to give it a steampunk'd look. The little chain is made from knotted gold thread the same used to hang Christmas baubles. Later I add a little pink crayon to his nose and inner ears.


The wording for Tea Alice was done using little word beads which I painted with some gold paint. I then glued on all my bits and bobs adding touches of gold paint to blend them into the project. 



My finished tea pot! 

Thank you for reading my first blog posting for Calico Craft Parts. I hope your enjoyed it and that it inspires you to have a go at making your own creations.

If you have any questions about this project please do message me, I am very happy to help if I can. 

Kat Hazelton. 
 


8 comments:

  1. lovely to see your creations Kat well done love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an awesome make, Kat! Thanks so much for being with us and for sharing this fabulously inspirational piece!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much 😊 appreciate your lovely feedback. Had a lot of fun making it.

      Delete
  3. Looks great Kat. Well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, appreciate your positive feedback. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Kat, gorgeous, love this clockface and the amazing rabbit. You are welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment. The rabbit is comes so wonderfully detailed it's really easy to paint on those little extras.😊🐰❤️

      Delete