Thursday 16 November 2017

A is for ........ by Jennie

Hello Everyone and welcome!

Something a little bit different from me today. I spent a lovely time going through all the Calico Craft Parts Steampunk/Mechanical and Ironmongery parts and decided to make a little project with one of the Steampunk letters. And of course it had to be  A for Atkinson!


As Atkinson is very much a northern England name (although my father in law was very much a Cockney!) I thought this would fit quite nice with the steampunk theme.


The steampunk letter first got a coating of DecoArt Texture Sand Paste here and there and then a coat of a mix of DecoArt Paynes Grey mixed with a little Tinting Medium. I added some darker Paynes Grey here and there.


And then it was in with the DecoArt Quinacridone Gold splodging it here and there to get a rusty effect.  I love how you can keep adding layers with a heavier hand to get a darker colour.


I love how it works with the Sand Texture Paste.


I hadn't intended to do much decoration, but thought this fabulous chap and his dog summed up an industrial age which I am sure the Atkinson's would have been involved in. I rusted a few mini cogs and added these under the photograph to give a bit of depth.


I thought this Word Element was particularly appropriate ! I rubbed more Quinacridone Gold with my finger on the Word Element and then added a little Paynes Grey around the edges to age it a bit. Before adding it to the background I did smear a little gold paint onto the sand textured areas to give it a bit of a glint.


Another close up of the rusting.


This turned out to be a very enjoyable project and I think it would work well instead of a birthday card for a male family member or friend. So .... another 25 letters to go!

Thank you for joining me today and happy crafting!

Jennie x


Calico Craft Parts used:





5 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant rusted look on your fabulous Atkinson A - I love the glint of gold on the texture - really brings it to life. Fabulous!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous Jennie and I love all those rusty details....totally fab and inspiring.
    TFS Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great steampunk piece, Jennie. I love the man and his little dog and they go just brilliantly with the cogs and the rust! I love this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for your lovely comments x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your steampunk Atkinson A, Jennie!
    Great rust and design!
    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete