Monday 28 November 2016

Sporty Christmas Angel - by Claudia

Servus! I am so glad you're stopping by today as I am sharing one of my first Christmas makes for this year! I hope you had a lovely first Sunday in advent, lighting the first candle, enjoying some lebkuchen and/or punch and listening to an advent story or song!

I am sure some (most?) of you have already started decorating the house and wakening the Christmas angels from their long and cosy sleep in some stored away boxes. carefully wrapped up in tissue paper! Mine still are waiting to be put up, but I created a new one today - using one of the lovely Calico Craft Parts Art Doll Kits:




Please, welcome Agatha! She obviously is a very sporty Christmas angel (doesn't she look just terrific in her sports dress?) and creating her was a lot of fun!

Calico Craft Parts used:

- Standard Jointed Art Doll Kit - Style 1
- Rounded Rectangle Greyboard Mixed Media Board - Style 18
- Sheet of Mini MDF Wood Wings - Style 3
- Curled Vine Fancy Flourish MDF Wood Shape - Style 1
- Curled Vine Fancy Flourish MDF Wood Shape - Style 2
- Stars - Mini Greyboard Shapes
- Sheet of Mini MDF Wood Crowns - Style 2



My main goal was to create texture in as many ways as possible and still have that bit of bling. The angel's body parts were monoprinted instead of painted - this adds lovely texture and depth!

To do so I first gave all the parts a coat of loosely brushed on white DecoArt Gesso and let that dry.


Then I took an index card and painted on some DecoArt Americana Bahama Blue and pressed the parts face down into the paint.




This is how my parts looked after the first layer:


I repeated the monoprinting step using DecoArt Teal Dazzling Metallic ...


...and afterwards Light Buttermilk Americana paint. 



I punched two holes into the mixed media board and then gave it a coat of white Gesso. 
Once that was dry I applied DecoArt media white Crackle Paint through a snowflakes stencil 
and put it close to our central heating to speed up the drying process. 


In the meantime I created Agatha's face. I used snipped off bits from some Calico Craft Parts flourishes for her hair and made sure I painted the eyes, nose and mouth so they would be well visible once the "hair" was added. 





Agatha's hair was painted using DecoArt Venetian Gold Dazzling Metallic paint. 
I also used it on the stars and to add some dots to her dress. 




While I had done Agatha's head my background panel had dried and the cracks had turned out beautifully! I applied a thin wash of DecoArt media Cobalt Turquoise Hue to highlight the cracks and tone down the white of the panel.



The wings were drybrushed using DecoArt Americana Light Buttermilk, Bahama Blue and the Venetian Gold Dazzling Metallic paint. 

Then I glued everything in place using matte Decou-Page. I added tiny half pearls to hide the joint holes. 


Agatha got an additional "layer of hair" that was glued directly to the panel - that helped make her head and hair less prominent and also visually fuse all the elements and layers. 


And there she was! 



I hope you like her as much as I do! 
Enjoy a wonderful advent season! 

Hugs and happy crafting!
Claudia
xxx




10 comments:

  1. This is totally fabulous Claudia x You put her together so cleverly and I lobe her face, hair and outfit.....quite stunning xx

    TFS and best wishes
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Annie! So glad you like Agatha! :) XXX

      Delete
  2. wieder mal total schön !
    Liebe Grüße
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Agatha, Claudia! I especially like the way you did her flowing hair, it makes her look so alive and active! Fabulous texture too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie Ann! Yes, she looks pretty active...lol :) xxx

      Delete
  4. Clever use of the craft parts. I love Agatha and your colours qnd background too. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thank you so much, Tracy! So glad to hear that you like Agatha!
      Hugs! Claudia xxx

      Delete
  5. Heheheh - love her sporty clothing! She's WONDERFUL Claudia. My favorite part is her hair - so fun. Her face is really lovely too. Oh I so love how you created such a different take on a Christmas angel - she's perfect!! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :))) Thank you so much, Joi! Very happy that you like Agatha so much! Hugs! XXX

      Delete