Monday 14 November 2016

Autumn Love and Farewell - by Claudia

Servus and welcome back to "my" Calico Craft Parts Monday feature!
Claudia here to bring to you a kind of "farewell" project for one of my favourite seasons of the year - which is autumn.

Sadly over here there was a rather wet and cold "autumn" this year so not much of the usual beautiful and clear autumnal light and colours for me - so I created a piece that is meant to capture that at least.




Calico Craft Parts used:

- MDF Printers Tray Kit - Style 2
- Sitting Fox MDF Wood Shape - Style 9
- Flying Barn Owl MDF Wood Shape - Style 1
- Mushrooms Funghi MDF Wood Shape - Style 9
- Sheet of Mini MDF Wood Birds - Crows&Ravens
- Sheet of Mini MDF Acorns and Oak Leaves
- Sheet of Mini MDF Wood Insects - Style 3
- Spiders Web Corner MDF Wood Shape - Style 1



I started with cutting apart the panels for the inner compartments to get more random looking boxes to fill.

before

after
with all the shapes I wanted to use for my shadow box


I glued the printers tray's pieces together using matte DecoArt Decou-page. Once that had dried I started painting my tray with a coat of DecoArt Americana Charcoal Grey as a base. Afterwards I dry brushed on some strokes of DecoArt Traditions Phtalo Green-Blue and Medium White.


To tone it down (as the colours looked a bit too cold) I gave it a wash of DecoArt media English Red Oxide as well.



Then I started to "rust" my animal shapes:

I mixed some DecoArt Americana Dark Chocolate with some bird sand and dabbed the mixture on as a base coat using a piece of a kitchen sponge. Once that was dry I dabbed on some DecoArt Americana Persimmon and for a finish a bit of Primary Yellow in some spots.

This simple three steps treatment creates some gorgeous textured rust on your MDF pieces!






I did the same with the printers tray frame's fronts:


Some alphabet wood blocks were inked around the edges and then glued in place alongside all the other pieces using matte Decou-Page.





Et voilá! 



Winter is already at our doorsteps - so I hope you enjoyed this attempt of capturing a bit of autumnal warmth as much as I did! ;)






Thanks for stopping by and happy shopping with 


Hugs and happy crafting!
Claudia 
xxx


6 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful farewell to the autumn, Claudia. It has been wet and grey here today, but we've also had some glorious days and some incredible fungi has appeared in the woods!Your piece reminds me how much I love this season no matter what the weather brings!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total klasse gestaltete Herbstbox liebe Claudia. Schöne Oberflächen-Texturen und Farben. Hoffe dir geht es gut.
    Ganz liebe Grüße
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much, Julie Ann and Sabine!!!! Mwah! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes - I enjoyed your capturing of Autumn Claudia. It's LOVELY. Your colors are so pretty; they came together in such a complimentary and unique way. I like that it's all rather muted and elegant. You portrayed my fav time of year just beautifully! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you Claudia, the colors of Autumn are spectacular. The earth tones are my favorite and the way the sun shines crisp and bright lift the spirits. Great job. Norma T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comments, Joi and D Tee! They're highly appreciated! You made my day! XXX

      Delete