Monday 25 May 2015

Butterfly Moments by Alison

Hello all, Alison here, and I've got a springtime creation for you today, full of blossom, blue skies and butterflies.  I'll share the project in more detail over at Words and Pictures soon, but I'll just share the Calico Craft Parts highlights with you today!


Unsurprisingly, I was completely smitten with the new Mini Butterfly Wood Shapes.  There really are some exceptionally lovely ones, with delicate wing shapes, and they come in sheets of various designs, so you get plenty to play with.  But I needed somewhere lovely for them to live...


I created a crackle sky on a  canvas for my butterflies to flutter in, spritzed with inky sprays in soft springtime blues and greens, and with some mini-beads for extra shimmer.


And butterflies need somewhere to perch, so I added some flowers clambering over a trellis.  Some of them have had some painty altering to get them how I wanted them to look.


The butterflies themselves have been treated very simply with some sparkly paint so that they catch the light.


It took a couple of coats as the paint was quite translucent, and I used quite a lot of water, letting the colour puddle to create interesting shapes and shades.


I love how they turned out.  I hope you do too.  I think my favourite is this one who's just alighted for a rest... the legs are unbelievably intricate.


Thanks so much for stopping by, and I'll see you again soon.

Alison xx

23 comments:

  1. Such a luscious piece, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the butterflies... you can never have too many butterflies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, this is soooo summer time to me! I adore it!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant and so nicely Spring feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, just gorgeous Alison! I am loving your little butterflies, great splotches on their wings and the colour is fabulous!! I'm looking forward to reading more about your process! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Alison ! The colours are gorgeous and I love the crackle background and of course the butterflies ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous and the flowers - well they are fantastic!
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning Alison and the butterflies are gorgeous. Loving the crackle and gorgeous flowers

    TFS
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely spring creation with the colours and the large flowers, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The flowers are beautiful but the butterflies really do take centre stage and are wonderful with the subtle shimmer to their wings. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous canvas, love those flowers against that beautiful teal, greeny background xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. delicious use of colour alison - absolutely beautiful florals, crackle and i love the words too - fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great use of those butterflies and such a wonderful background!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally beautiful Alison and the butterflies look wonderful! Love the way they shimmer in different shades.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous Alison. Simply gorgeous.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So gorgeous, dear Alison, I love how you painted the butterflys, it gives a beautiful effect, and that crackle is amazing - Such wonderful ,-everyday moment !!!
    Hugs, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous, I love especially the butterflies and the crackling in these colours!!! Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice Alison, love your crackled background and the addition of the microbeads adds another layer of beautiful texture. The butterflies are wonderful, love the painterly way you have coloured them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful, springtime project and those butterfly legs are truly lovely! I love the way you have coloured the butterlfies and made them glimmer and I adore the addition of the mini beads. The crackle is superb and the colour combo works so well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a lovely piece with pops of color! The white "everyday moments" in the middle are so simple and quiet in the midst of the color. Oh .. yest I love this. Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete