Saturday 13 June 2020

Ocean Bliss - Home Decor by Kerstin

Hello, creative friends!

Today a new SEA inspired project - it's a centre piece in vintage shabby chic style.


Have you seen the versatile mixed media boards in the Calico Craft Parts shop?
 In spring I had already created a project of a similar kind with one of these.



I love it to use  a crackle medium on the MDF shapes, here it is Weathered Wood from DecoArt.

The projects become a used old look, which is perfect for pieces that should spread a lovingly individual charm. Together with some Distress Spray Stains the background is quickly made - below the foaming sea and above the sky .

some close up's


 I had a ship in mind whose sails have already been worked by wind and weather. The hull was painted with brown metallic paint and the sails were first painted with a little texture paste, crackle medium, white acrylic paint and after drying highlighted with light golden metallic wax.


My project also needed an old compass that still points the way.
I broke the lid off the wood shape and  glued it back on at an acute angle with cold glue to create a dimensional effect.


 A baroque shell element was the perfect addition for this project. I first primed it with crackle medium and then coated that with white acrylic paint. 


The title word shapes were embossed with a very special embossing powder, matching the maritime theme.  



Calico Craft Parts used:  

 Tudor Arch Shape - MDF Mixed Media Board

 Jagged Edge Birch Ply Wood Plaque 

Galleon Boat MDF Wood Shape - Style 9

Art Deco & Nouveau Style Ornament Shapes - Style 7

  Pocket Compass MDF Wood Shape

 Dolphin Duo MDF Wood Shape - Style 03




This new maritime project found its place on 
a handmade fret saw shelf and now adorns my living room table.

I hope I could inspire you to try your very own versions and ideas !

Happy crafting!
Kerstin

2 comments:

  1. So much I love about this, Kerstin!!! The baroque sea shell ornament, the genius idea of turning the flat compass wood shape into a dimensional compass and how you've painted the Galleon boat is just divine!!!! I've often taken a closer look at that particular wood shape in the store, but never dared use it as I knew I would not be able to make it look as adventurous, worn and old as I wanted to. Now you have done your magic and the result is exactly how I've dreamed it...so this is obviously a "Kerstin" wood shape. Can't think of anyone else who could paint and use it so delicately and magically!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, many thanks dear Claudia, I hope I could inspire you, I'm sure you'll do a great job!!! Hugs, Kerstin xxx

      Delete