Wednesday 26 July 2017

Art Deco Door Hanger by Jennie

Hello Everyone! and welcome to my mixed media Door Hanger which layers a number of Calico Craft Parts pieces to get this sumptuous effect.



As some of you will know I recently attended a wonderful mixed media weekend workshop with Anna Dabrowska, France Papillon and Marta Lapowska and over the weekend we layered a lot of wooden and metal parts in our pieces. I came home fired with enthusiasm to try the same effect with some of the wonderful Calico Craft Parts I seem to have collected over the last year being on the DT.



I decided to use a Door Hanger as my base as I do love the way I can use these around the house without having to sort out nails for hanging!


Once the Hanger had been given a couple of coats of gesso I started my layering:  some texture paste through a stencil, then a layer of builders mesh and finally some bits of lace which had been cut up for another project but not used.


I then went through my little box of Calico Craft Parts Pieces - hearts, keys, ironmongery, little plaques and started layering these over the Hanger. Finally I added this wonderful Art Deco Ornament Shape as my final layer.


Then everything got coated with gesso. It needs a couple of coats and you need to get your paintbrush into all the nooks and crannies. In fact I was wishing that I had done my gesso coats before adding the final ornament! But that's the artistic flow for you ..... well for me anyway! After this photograph was taken I decided to add a few flowers which also got coated in gesso.


And then I started spraying with some water soluble pigments and LOTs of water, mopping up here and there until I was happy with the colour.


Text stamping filled in the white gaps and I did edge the Hanger with some brown ink to give it a bit of definition.


And finally, the addition of some micro beads - I really really love these, but I still don't have the hang of getting them necessarily where I want them!

I really enjoyed this project and am thrilled with my door hanger which is hanging on my craft room door at the moment. I was so pleased that the Art Deco Ornament with its wonderful etching pattern has taken the water dye pigment just so beautifully - I wasn't too sure whether I would lose the etched pattern but the combination of gesso and water based pigment has resulted in a light covering.

Thank you so much for joining me today. This is actually a scheduled post as by now I will be sailing around the West Coast of Scotland (hopefully!) in our lovely boat. These colours remind me of the wonderful turquoise seas and sandy beaches we encounter most of the time. We always feel very lucky.

Happy crafting!

Jennie x

Live The Dream

Calico Craft Parts Used:



7 comments:

  1. What wonderful textures and effects on this beautiful door hanger, Jennie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Enjoy the sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely, Jennie - the layering of the embellishments is perfect, and I just love the colour palette - this is a beauty!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is completely amazing Jennie, I adore it!!!! Stunning work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your door hanger is some kind of beautiful. Yummy. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Jennie!! Love it! You always inspire me and you make me want to try your techniques myself too! Another one to the list! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful door knob hanger Jennie! Your layering of elements looks so nice with the colors you have used! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete