Thursday 23 March 2017

Spring .... (in sepia) by Jennie

Hello everyone and welcome to my second post this month. As we are now officially in Spring (where do the weeks and months go!), I thought I would share a Spring Printer Tray which I had great fun filling with cream spring blossoms.  However, despite intending to be in a more white/green mood, it doesn't take much to side track me into a sepia one!


The tray is a lovely size - not too big, but big enough to be able "fill" the spaces and looks quite lovely standing on the little stand which can also be purchased to go with it.


I started off by painting everything roughly in DecoArt Raw Sienna Acrylic Paint.


The "rough painting" was intentional as I wanted to then overstamp using this lovely woodgrain stamp ....


... which is quite effective using dark brown ink over the painted surface.  I blended a little of the dark brown ink around the edges too.


I found it easier to paint the individual pieces first before glueing it all together.  It also made adding the background paper easier too.


I broke the thistle spray into smaller pieces so they would fit into the frames in the tray and after painting with white gesso splotched bronze paint here and there.

I wasn't too keen on the bronze colour so knocked it back with two or three coats of gesso but some of the bronze is still visible.


I am very taken with the opportunity here at Calico Craft Parts to order single bespoke words for a project and with such an array of different fonts on offer it is very easy to find a one which suits all our different styles.


I had great fun looking for little bits and pieces to fill the shelf spaces.


All the flowers were handmade in order that I could get the right size without being overpowering.  There are a number of tutorials on my blog HERE if you would like to know more.  I have used tiny little stamens normally used for cake decorating, but they are a little more blossom like than the larger ones.


It is amazing how much "spring" themed stash is lurking in my craft room!  From some large sheets of scrapbooking paper I found some lovely little labels, birds and butterflies.


A reminder then that spring should really be on its way! It is certainly later here in the Northern Isles which is probably why I went down the sepia route! Our daffodils are just about the open so there will be some colour in the next few days.

As always, thank you for joining me today and I hope you are having a lovely spring wherever you are.

Jennie x


Calico Craft Parts used:



7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Jennie, the wood grain stamp looks amazing on your frame pieces and I just love all the pieces of Ephemera you have added, especially the little bird nest and the beautiful butterfly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sepia springtime - the wood look is great around the edge and all the little details are gorgeous, finished off with your fabulous flowers.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely project, Jennie. Spring and its message of hope and renewal are just what we need to focus on at this time. I really love that wood grain stamp - how effective it is on the printer's tray. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful Jennie. Love things like this. Every little detail looks so special. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone! It really was such fun to do and I am now keeping a box of little bits and pieces for the next one ......

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful, Jennie! I love that wood effect you have created as well as all the lovely "stuff" you have altered and/or added to the tray. That makes for a most wonderful spring decoration indeed!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charming and your flowers are lovely! This tray looks great after you used that woodgrain stamp.

    ReplyDelete