Friday 5 June 2015

A Box of Affirmations by Astrid


Hello lovely visitors and thank you for dropping in here today. This is Astrid sharing a little ATC sized trinket box and mini booklet full of affirmations to fit inside.

These boxes come in a kit and are very easy to put together (you can download assembly instructions from the shop). They even have optional little feet, and are perfect for ATCs, Playing cards or indeed little trinkets, jewelery or whatever you wish.


I started by adding some texture crackle paste through a stencil on the lid of the box and just in random patches on the sides, using a palette knife. I then covered it with a layer of gesso.


The lid has a little handle and fits perfectly on the box. I like the jagged edge, it adds some character I think, but you can get one with a plain lid too.

Next I coloured it with various blue and white tones of acrylic paints, blending with a baby wipe and then highlighted the raised bits with some treasure gold. I chose to decorate the box with two of the butterflies from one of the mini butterfly woodshapes. There are several styles of butterflies to choose from, these came from set 6.



Made from super strong MDF, these boxes are very sturdy and perfect for altering with texture paste or crackle.

I decided to make a little accordion fold booklet to fit inside. The base was made from a piece of 3.5 by 10" Kraft card, accordion folded every 2.5 inches and then decorated with papers, inks, stamps and affirmations. And of course I decorated the pages with more awesome craft part shapes.


This is the front cover, I adhered a ribbon under the covering paper on both the front and the back to close the booklet. The front was decorated with one of the wonderful flourish wood shapes. There are many different shapes to choose from, this one is the Baroque Fancy Leaf Flourish


For this double page I chose  one of the lovely Birds of the World wood shapes. This one is from the Humming Bird Duo. I carefully broke it apart and used one for this side and the other on the following page. For the facing page I used one of the Little Heart wood shapes, that I had ready rusted up and left over from a previous project.


I think many of the wood shapes look perfect left just as they are, but for these more figurative shapes it can be lovely to colour them too. This one was coloured with water colour markers.


This is the next double page, I used some star mini mdf wood shapes on the left and the other half of the humming bird duo on the right.


One of the great things about so many of the wood shapes is that they are so versatile and can be used in parts to suit your project.


Here you can see the back page still and below you can see how the little book fits perfectly into the box.

Well, that's it from me today, hope I have inspired you to take a look at some of the wonderful craft parts that are available, and there are new ones appearing almost every week!


Thanks for visiting and hope you will have a creative weekend!!

24 comments:

  1. What a gorgious project , I love the little box a lot, but I really love your small book great images with a lot of structure and great quotes!!!

    Have a nice weekend
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another outstanding project here again Astrid. I absolutely love both projects here today again, but who wouldn´t? You always makes such beautiful stuff out of everything hun, and I´m soo lucky, that I love the same colors as you, so you almost always hit some I love he he.
    Have a great week-end now wvweryone and lots og great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! A wonderful little box x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular Astrid. the box is lovely and I can see all the different uses it can have. I love your little book. You make these so wonderful and this one is no exception. Hugs Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous step by step Astrid and I love the texture you have created. The accordion album is wonderful too and decorated beautifully. Loving the craft parts

    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely trinket box Astrid! You really did well showcasing the crafts parts on each project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowsers Astrid, what a gorgeous box and card! Love the stencil you used and the amazing blue tones! The card is just wonderful, my favourite bit is definitely that stunning bird on a branch! Well done! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely alteration of the box and a precious little book Astrid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Astrid, such a beautiful box, the stenciled crackle looks amazing ,- and
    that is such a wonderful way of maybe giving a gift, or just to hold something beautiful, like your wonderful booklet. So lovely with all the wood shapes, inside and on the cover.
    Hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful project Astrid!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Astrid,
    Your trinket box and book are so very beautiful! The pages in the book are lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Astrid,
    I absolutely love this! Going to make one of my own!
    Jan H

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant project, Astrid - I absolutely love your colors and textures here! The little accordion book inside the beautiful box is a special find for whomever receives this fabulous make! Thanks, as always, for wonderful inspiration in the overall project and in the making!! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Love the blue textured box...what a transformation! What more...loved that little book inside...what a treasure! It sits snugly in that box with amazing works and possitivity. Very inspiring, Astrid.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's just adorable, Astrid - love the stencilled crackle on the box, and the hummingbirds look wonderful.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful creation, Great textures on the box, and these beautiful butterflies!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Takes my breath away! The ATC trinket box is a gorgeous alteration and love the texture! Next the Affirmation Booklet is stunning and such a lovely collections of inspiration! Love these both! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A wonderful step by step Astrid and a gorgeous pair of projects. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Astrid you always share such fabulous projects !! This box is awesome and the small book is just the perfect match. Gosh ... You are so talented !! Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs from Monica.. Spain

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely fabulous! Love the combination of blues on the box. Gorgeous makes! X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Astrid,
    I have just found this post, sorry I missed it earlier. I really love the box you have created and you little affirmation book is adorable. Can you please tell me if the keys are real or are the die cuts or maybe even wood? The look sooo realistic and add so much interest to the page. Thank you for sharing more of your amazing creations ith us all.
    Warmest best wishes
    Su

    ReplyDelete