Friday 21 May 2021

Embellishing a layout: by guest designer Liling Payne


Hello Everyone

Again, thanks go to Louse Crosbie for the invitation to be a Guest Design Team member for May. You will have seen my first blog post which was an ocean theme and for this second one, I decided to do a completely different theme based on the lovely floral and butterfly elements that are among the wonderful range of products Calico Craft Parts sell. I also ordered an ATC blank with rabbit to do for my granddaughter as she has just lost her pet rabbit, so I thought this might be a nice wee memorial.

I used to think that mixed media was only about gothic, steampunk or grungy type media and it’s only since I started playing around with the media, that I realised it can be anything you like and it meets all crafting styles e.g. scrapbooking, cards, boxes and basically anything that you wish to embellish with the fabulous parts available from Calico Craft Parts so go ahead and give it a go.

I prepared all the pieces with a fine layer of white gesso and let it dry overnight (you can dry in a few minutes using a heat gun if you prefer). This gave me a base colour to which I added distress inks and a glacier paste for some shimmer

I decided to do a scrapbook page of my nephew’s wedding and used these parts to form a frame around the photo which I laid onto co-ordinating cardstock. I had coloured the beautiful calico craft parts to match the floral theme of the wedding.



I love how versatile the embellishments are and will definitely be using more elements

I then decided to use the ATC to make a memorial tag for my granddaughter and loved the rabbit in the bluebells which I coloured accordingly.

First of all I laid a base of white gesso and let it dry overnight (or you can dry in a couple of minutes with a heat gun if you do not like to wait).
I then decided to use my distress inks as watercolour to paint the background scene which I wanted to be an outdoors one for the frame which had the rabbit and bluebells.



Then I joined the frame and background to provide this lovely little ATC tag.

I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing how versatile the wooden embellishments can be and check out the website to see all the fabulous themes and designs you can make at an incredible price to enhance and embellish your crafty makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment