Sunday 14 July 2019

A Happy Summer Birthday - Hinged ATC by Julie Ann.

Hello, Everyone. I hope you're enjoying some carefree summer days taking time to smell the flowers. This week I have a miniature birthday card with a difference to share with you.





I decided to combine this beautifully detailed Calico ATC frame with an MDF ATC blank; but to drill tiny holes at the edges of the frame and the blank and to create a hinge, using copper crafting wire. I was really pleased with the sense of depth this creates when you stand it on a shelf.



To begin with, I took an MDF ATC blank and gave it a couple of coats of white Gesso.



For the reverse side, I used a heavy black Gesso. You can then write your greeting on this side with a white Gel pen.




Calico frames are so beautifully detailed, it doesn't take more than a little paint to create a magical, fairy-tale effect. Gold metallic paint adds the finishing touch.



As this is a summer birthday card, I painted a miniature Flora in a leafy bower. She is taking a moment in the long, summer day to enjoy the fragrance of a wild rose.



The wooden beads cover any sharp ends on the copper wire.




I used a combination of gesso, acrylic inks and acrylic paint with white gel pen and water-colour pencils for the final touches. The golden owl in flight and the running hare provide a sense of movement and suggest that perhaps that long summer afternoon is gently fading into twilight.

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and look at my summer birthday ATC. Wishing you a wonderfully creative time until we meet again.
Calico Craft Parts Used in this Project
Plain ATC Wood Blank with Woodland Fungi Frame
Sheet of Mini Owls Wood Shapes
Sheet of Mini Hares

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely idea - those beaded hinges are fantastic - and I love your dreamy Flora amidst the fungi!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alison. I gave this to my mother for her 90th birthday! x

    ReplyDelete