Saturday 31 October 2015

HaPpY HaLlOwEeN: Samhain Blessings. By Zuzu

Well the last time I posted a project, I said it was my last Halloween project for calico Craft Parts. But then I realised I was due to put in a post ON Halloween. well I could hardly put up a christmas project on the actual day could I?

I know Halloween is not as popular south of the border as it is here in Scotland. it was always a Celtic tradition with the festival of Samhain. Autumn/Fall honouring and remembering our departed loved ones. sharing food and treats. disguises and carved lanterns. It is the Irish and Scottish immigrants who took the tradition to America; although it has changed quite a lot there now that it includes "Trick or Treat".
Here in Scotland, the children dress up but they must EARN their treats by singing a song, telling a joke or a scary story etc, and not use blackmailing tactics by threatening to play a trick if they dont get a treat. they would be sent off to think again if they dared lol.




Anyway I digress(again). as it is halloween I quickly put together this altered matchbox with two fun little creepy (in a nice way) scenes inside.


Calico Craft Parts Used:

Cobweb/ Spiders web corner
Bat
Sitting skeleton
Mini insects
sugar maple leaf (a few leaves broken off)

3 comments:

  1. I love this - the autumn colour tones and that wonderful tired skeleton (my favourite of the bony people!) all hiding in the book cover... wonderful!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tradition of children earning their treat is WONDERFUL. Why didn't that catch on here in the USA also? Not only polite, and teaching a lesson, it provides an opportunity for little ones to experience talking or something in front of an audience. Extremely useful for their future as adults. Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Halloween make Louise as always it has wonderful details the craft parts look amazing

    Best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete